That One Time I Had Breast Reduction Surgery – Recovery Week 3

Wednesday, February 24 – Day 14, Post-Op
I guess I took so long between hydrocortisone, Benadryl and my Ibuprofen that I was really red and irritated by the time I showered at 10:30 p.m. last night. I was really uncomfortable but managed to sleep well enough. I did wake up one time because Emily had leg pains and wanted Motrin and another time because my arm was numb and tingly (need to ask the doc about that at my follow-up on Friday!).

I was really itchy when I woke up and then sore when I got to work. I wore a dress that was flattering when I had big boobs, but now that they’re smaller you can tell I need to work on my “abs” πŸ˜† . I can’t wait to be better!

Emily’s 7th birthday is today so I’m taking my lunch hour later and meeting her dad at the school for her cupcake party with her classmates.


After Emily’s cupcake party and dropping the girls off with Mom before I went back to work, the girls’ backpacks were in the back of the truck so I had to open the hatch…and I let go so it flew up. I had no choice but to raise my right arm and close it. Sure enough, by the time I got back to work I was feeling an uncomfortable spasm of pain, which only added to the intense soreness I felt all day. Several of my co-workers noticed I wasn’t myself and was kind of reserved since I was breathing through the soreness/itchiness all day. Not even the 2nd coat of hydrocortisone helped after noontime. I just felt uncomfortable and mopey all day. Gerry and Rosie both said I should have been off this week, too. I thought I would be well enough to make it through, but I feel exhausted and it’s Wednesday. I think I may just take tomorrow and Friday and see what the doc says at my appointment. Time to take my meds and go to sleep.

Thursday, February 25 – Day 15 Post-Op
I took the day off work after all. Relaxed most of the day and was relieved that I wasn’t experiencing that strange soreness; the one where even my blouse or hair cause me to become anxious.

I had to pick all the kids up since Jorge isn’t here, and pick up groceries and more Benadryl and non-stick gauze (I’m happy they finally stocked them again!), so my drive was literally about 3 hours long. Or more. Then I had to make dinner. Exhausted is an understatement. And the itchiness. Oh. My. God. I was on fire from the itch by the time we made it home.

As soon as all the kids were showered and I finally got a minute to sit on the sofa my boobs started throbbing. I showered and became even itchier from having to wash the old hydrocortisone from my incisions. My newer sports bras are all dirty and we got home too late to wash so I’m wearing an old one I hardly ever used because it was too small. Hopefully I’ll be alright in it.

When I was looking at my incisions after my shower I noticed a spot opened where the vertical and horizontal incisions intersect πŸ™ . I read that when those types of openings happen, it’s usually very hard for them to close up in that area. There was even a pinhead-sized white spot in that opening that worries me. That, on top of the blisters possibly spreading (I swear there’s a lot more new ones popping up), I feel really discouraged and disappointed.

My skin seems to also be peeling in some spots. I have a list of questions to ask my doc at my follow up tomorrow. I just want this rash to go away so I can heal properly.

Saturday, February 27 – Day 17 Post-Op
Didn’t update at all yesterday, but I stayed home from work again. Had to drop Jorgie, Justin and Jules off at school in the morning since Jorge was working out of town. Then I dropped the girls off. (John dropped Eenan and Jaylen off.) After the long drive I went to my appointment at my plastic surgeon’s office. I still felt uncomfortably–and sometimes desperately–itchy, and still had the small shocks of pain and the crazy sensitive skin.

I changed into a gown and Doc checked me out. I noticed he had a poker face going on. He asked, “What are you putting on it?” I said, “What you prescribed: hydrocortisone and taking Benadryl.” He surveys my incisions and rash and says, “How many times do you put the hydrocortisone?” I answered, “What it says on the box, no more than 4 times a day.”

He said, “That’s way too much! Bring it down to 2 times a day. What soap are you using?” I said, “Dial antibacterial,” and he says, “Oh no! Don’t use antibacterial soaps. It may have caused more irritation. Stick to Dove sensitive.” Which is ironic because that’s the soap I used to use! Both those chunks of advice would have been ideal to hear last week!

I told him about the weird numbness in my arms, but he checked me out and said that and the chills, aren’t related to the surgery. Well hell. I also told him about the suture that’s poking out of my right nip and he said it should dissolve on it’s own. My left nip is now leaky, which is weird, cause it hadn’t done that. I told him about the opening at the “T” intersection, but he said that’s the last part that heals, so it was normal. Woah.

I asked him if the bra I was using was fine and he said yes. So that was it. Went to HEB to stock up on more non-stick gauze, hydrocortisone, Dove Sensitive and Vitamin C.

Spent the day not moving much and hardly applied hydrocortisone. I was itchy so I took Benadryl, but the pains I was having the day before were minimal and so was the soreness. Mom and I watched “Fuller House” till Linda arrived and we went to visit Gramma. She’s been having some issues at the nursing home so everyone’s trying to get to the bottom of why she’s been anxious and scared πŸ™ .

We got back and continued our Fuller House marathon will I had to get ready to go to Jaylen’s track meet. It would be another hour and a 1/2 or more I’d spend driving. The bumps and potholes don’t bother me as much, but I still have to press my heart pillow against my chest, just in case.

The trek up the stadium bleachers was tough, but I made it. Met Mario and the girls there (he picked them up from school and went straight there). Jaylen ended up being pulled out of the races 😑 so we left to Mario’s house to pick up Eenan and the girls. Jaylen wouldn’t get out till 9:30 or 10:00 so I would pick him up this morning.

By the time I got home, I was beat. Jorgie, Justin and Jules were dropped off by their mom and Jorge arrived a short time later. It felt like he was gone forever =/.

Woke up this morning at 7:30 to Jules coughing so I got up to give him cough medicine. Then I couldn’t sleep from the itching. Jorge had to go pick up a key so I stayed home and ate cereal. Then I took Benadryl and was falling asleep all over again. Thankfully, Jorge drove to pick up Jaylen from Mario’s work.

Been feeling itchy, sometimes unbearably, but I’m powering through =/. Applied hydrocortisone reluctantly, but the girls were attending a party at Get Air so I didn’t want to feel miserable away from home. The girls all had a blast and Jenny and I chit-chatted while we watched them :).


Next we went to find supplies Alaethia needs for a project. We went to the 99 Cent Store and found what she needed, and of course you can’t walk out of there without snacks and random stuff, like supplies for work πŸ˜† .

We went to Gramma’s and she was in good spirits, thank goodness. I helped her get her snacks ready: an empanada and Peeps Linda had taken to her. She offered the girls some and they happily obliged.


We visted for about 45 minutes and she was in a good mood. She keeps telling Linda and Aunt Nora that she’s scared, but she doesn’t do that with me πŸ˜• .

We got home and the little ones wanted to play bowling in the driveway. It was windy, so they didn’t get to play too much. The ice cream man was passing by and we ran inside for some cash. The whole fam hung out outside eating our ice creams. We even got an extra one for free for being good customers, heh.

Jaylen, trying to escape the photo!

John and his girlfriend, Johanna, arrived shortly after. She brought us brownies and they were delish. The kids devoured them! She’s adorable, and she gets our insane sense of humor so that’s a plus πŸ™‚ .

We ordered Domino’s for dinner, which was a relief. Still haven’t taken Ibuprofen, Benadryl or hydrocortisone yet, but I don’t want to apply another coat until I shower. The most uncomfortable parts are at the end of my left/right incision near my underarm (I swear there are new blisters) and under each breast (those BURN!). Ugh. Ayudame Dios!

So itchy. But I don’t want to think about it!!

Sunday, February 28 – Day 18 Post-Op
Jorge woke me up earlier than I would have liked, but I think I’m slightly less itchy? I haven’t applied hydrocortisone yet but I may take Benadryl just in case. I feel a little less soreness, too, but it’s still early so I won’t count my chickens.

It’s past 5 and I’ve managed to go so far without applying hydrocortisone OR taking Benadryl! I’m slightly itchy, but not like before. I hope it stays that way. Still have some soreness/sensitivity when anything brushes against my chest, and hurts when we hit really deep potholes. And my left nip has been, er, leaky 😳 . Keep having to change the gauze. It’s worrisome but apparently normal for now.

Definitely counted my chickens before they hatched πŸ™ .I started getting unbearably itchy around 9pm (right after The Walking Dead), on each side under my underarms and near my left nipple. I undressed to shower and noticed I had more NEW rash bumps near my left nipple. When I showered I noticed my left areola, the one that’s been leaking, had red bumps all over it, like the rash! I’m worried. Jorge says I should go to the doc in the morning but I’m supposed to report to work!

Monday, February 29 – Day 19 Post-Op
I woke up and got myself and all the kids ready. Did the 1 1/2 hr. drive to drop them off. Called the doc because of my new complications and he prescribed Bactrim (?). Can’t remember, but he didn’t like the fact that my nipple was leaky to the point where I needed gauze all the time.

Work was alright. Even though at some points I wanted to rip my skin off from how itchy I was, and through the shooting pains I occasionally get on my nips and the sides where the incisions end under each armpit. I didn’t take any medication at all, nor did I apply hydrocortisone but I probably should have in hindsight, I felt so awful. But I concentrated on my work, and Michelle and I went to lunch, and later on went shopping with Latina Hope ladies and Thelma. I had to go grocery shopping after work, then unload (the girls helped me). My love was working on repairs in the bathroom while we visited Gramma and he made chili for dinner πŸ™‚ .

I think my nip and areola looked better tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying I can get over this and just concentrate on healing the actual wounds.

Tuesday, March 1 – Day 20 Post-Op
Jorge and I stayed up late last night. Erm. Let’s just say my poor husband has been a very patient man. They aren’t kidding when they tell you intimacy must be put on the back burner. But we’re troopers πŸ˜† !

Anyway, woke up this morning feeling like I needed 8 more hours of sleep, but I really didn’t feel too bad from my boobies. The right side near the armpit was what I noticed upon waking was sore.

After dropping the girls off and opening at work, I started feeling little pangs of pain suddenly near the right armpit πŸ˜• . Answering the phone the first 2 hours of work (front desk duty), and constant work made me exhausted by 1pm and I took 1 Ibuprofen. BUT, I didn’t need hydrocortisone nor Benadryl during work. Now that I’m calming down from the day, sitting waiting for the girls to get out of their dance, class I’m feeling soreness near both nips and on the outer sides. I haven’t looked at them all day at work since my chiffon top is sheer and I’m wearing a fitted cami under. I hope they’re better!!

One Comment

Leave a Reply